Sweet Pea had a coconut allergy for two years that she outgrew last June. Practically every company has jumped on the healthy coconut bandwagon, without being required to label for coconut as an allergen. It was the worst of all of the allergies so far, sending us to the ER twice. We were so happy to say goodbye to yet another allergy, and hello to coconuts again!
Do you like coconut? These bars from The Paleo Mom are awesome! Mini chips are key in this recipe as they disperse themselves throughout the bars, keeping them moist and delicious. We like Enjoy Life Mini Chips because they are free of the eight most common allergens (note: the bar in the photo has chocolate chunks because I’m out of mini chips!). Let’s Do Organic shredded, unsweetened coconut works great in this recipe without adding any sugar — and it’s organic.
With only four ingredients, you can throw these bars together super fast. We usually make Coconut Chocolate Bars twice a month. When you cut them into long bars, you can eat them instead of grabbing a granola bar. They make a perfect snack at school and hold up well in a coat pocket for ski days.
- 2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk egg and vanilla together in a small mixing bowl. Add coconut and chocolate chips. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Line a 8X8 square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Scoop mixture into prepared pan. Flatten out and pat down with the back of a wooden spoon or pasty roller.
- Bake for 22 minutes until edges turn golden brown. Let cool.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!