I still have Lyme…with a side of Mono

I Still Have Lyme - Under the Monkey Bars blog

Lyme sucks. That’s been my motto lately. Here I am 10 months after diagnosis and I still have Lyme disease…now with a side of mono. 

It’s been a while since I wrote a post about Lyme. Frankly, I don’t like to give it any more time than it takes up already. From the moment I wake up until I turn my bedside light off at night, it’s lyme lyme lyme. Daily aches and pains combined with exhaustion is really starting to wear me down.

When Don got injured in early March, I stopped taking my antibiotics so that I could take care of him. I knew I couldn’t handle another antibiotic at the time so I started the Cowden herbal protocol shortly after that. I’m on day 53 today.

I feel much better on the herbal drops, even though I have to remember to take them 4 times a day. It’s insane how much of the daily discomfort I’d been experiencing was just being on antibiotics for an extended period. I’m so thankful I no longer have the joint pain and difficulty walking that I did back in January and February on the antibiotic Tindamax. Over the past several months, I’ve learned that different kinds of medicine brings out different symptoms. It’s really interesting but no fun at the time.

I’m still having herx reactions on the Cowden. Lately, my left eye has been twitching a lot with severe pain in the sockets of my eyes and right ear. I have neck pain, back pain, fogginess, excessive sweating, a hung over feeling most mornings (without drinking!), and I’m mixing up words or having trouble finding the right word. That’s it. Honestly, it sounds like a lot but it’s way more manageable than before. Probably because I’ve killed off some of the Lyme bacteria at this point.

A few weeks ago, I found out that the mononucleosis or Epstein Barre Virus I had in 1999 has resurfaced as a result of my weakened immune system. It’s crazy that mono can actually do that. I’m not contagious: just really, really tired. Like I can’t get out of bed in the morning tired — and I’m usually a pop out of bed and greet the day without caffeine kind of girl. It’s such a drag.

Please don’t take this as complaining. And don’t be sorry for me. It is what it is. I can’t change the fact that I have Lyme disease, but I will tell my story in hopes that it will help others get diagnosed faster.

Many thanks to those of you who have reached out to share your Lyme stories. And I’m so happy I was able to help those of you who were suffering without a diagnosis. I love hearing from you so please continue to drop me a note in the comments or email me directly. I started this blog to share information to help us live healthier lives — without even realizing I had Lyme at the time. I truly believe that helping people is what I’m meant to be doing right now. 

The ticks are really bad this spring. Please check yourself and your family for ticks daily. There are sooooo many Lyme symptoms so refer to this list and look out for friends and family who have random things popping up. Thanks so much for reading this post and supporting Under the Monkey Bars!

Share this PostShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Email to someone


  1. Johanna says

    I caught my Lymes early so the first course of antibios may hv done the job. I also went to my chiropractor every week during treatment. I swear it helped give my immune system a boost. Have you used chiropractic care as a Lyme/Mono treatment? If so, do u think it made a difference?

    • says

      I’m sorry to hear that but hope that you are Lyme free now! I swear by chiropractic during treatment. I go every other week, but up it to every week when my symptoms spike. I also do yoga as much as I can and eat as clean as possible (gluten free, dairy free, no soy or corn, mostly vegan). Thanks for reading and sharing your story.